family

family
The Agnews plus ZsaZsa

Monday, December 30, 2013

Yogurt and The Baby Jesus

A Christmas Story.........

Her eyes lit up when she spied something new in grandmee’s front window….little dolls and animals, a barn and elaborate fence that stretched the width of the window’s bay…
It was my grandma Gerner’s nativity set that I bought at their garage sale.  She probably bought it at a “5 and dime” in the 40’s or 50’s…all the characters marked with the word, “Italia”….all of sentimental rather than cash value to me.
Yet, I had no problem with my beautiful 2-year old granddaughter handling it….she lovingly picked up each character and spent a lot of time that morning babbling away as she played with her new attraction.  I introduced her to the cast, however, she knew “baby” without any help from me. (she was expecting a new baby brother very soon)  Baby Jesus had to follow her as she finished her car made of blocks, up to the bedroom for a diaper change and even went for a ride with her on “the wonder horse”, ( a spring horse used by her dad and aunt T).

At lunch she climbed in her highchair, as I tied her bib….lunch that day was the usual yogurt, along with bits of sausage, grapes and orange sections.  I had moved my bills to the island to work on them, while Bryn ate with a “Dora” episode playing in the backround….there’s many ways to eat yogurt when you’re two….a spoon, your fingers, as a dip for your grapes and oranges…I dipped my graham cracker (that was pretty good, too)…..geez, I really need glasses…..Bryn was following my dipping lead, when I squinted to see what fruit she was dipping….oh, JMJ, she was dipping the Baby Jesus….down and slowly up as she watched the yogurt drip off the little guy….I hugged her tightly and said I didn’t think the baby had ever been so clean….

No comments:

Post a Comment